I decided that she needed a rich colour for her dress; and chose a deep burgundy fabric that I had hand-dyed.
It took a lot of searching to get the lace for her dress. I wanted a good quality lace in white, and a large enough size to fill the bodice area. I ended up using two pieces of lace for the front of her dress, to get the look that I wanted.
I glued the lace on using tiny drops of fabric glue to get it to stay in place, until I could sew the edges.
I debated what motif to use for the background as I wanted a vintage look. A friend Julia, from New Zealand, suggested trying to use the motifs from the lace.
It worked out really well, with a few ideas from a fabulous book called Doodle Quilting by Cheryl Malkowski. This is a great book for learning how to start free motion quilting and then how to combine different motifs. You can find the book here.
I stitched this lady’s hair extensively as I wanted the upswept look and the little wisps sticking out.
This is the final result:
I am now on to my next portrait. Another portrait of a lady. This one in a white debutante gown. I’m not sure about doing a white dress, but I will give it my best shot!